Publications des scientifiques de l'IRD

Chandre Fabrice, Darriet Frédéric, Doannio J.M.C., Pasteur N., Guillet Pierre. (1996). Insecticide resistance, mechanisms and gene flow in Culex quinquefasciatus from West Africa. In : Wildey K.B. (ed.). Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on insect pests in the urban environment. Exeter : BPC Weatons, p. 640. Insect Pests in the Urban Environment : International Conference, 2., Edinburgh (GBR), 1996/07/07-10. ISBN 0-952-18241-6.

Titre du document
Insecticide resistance, mechanisms and gene flow in Culex quinquefasciatus from West Africa
Année de publication
1996
Type de document
Colloque
Auteurs
Chandre Fabrice, Darriet Frédéric, Doannio J.M.C., Pasteur N., Guillet Pierre
In
Wildey K.B. (ed.), Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on insect pests in the urban environment
Source
Exeter : BPC Weatons, 1996, p. 640 ISBN 0-952-18241-6
Colloque
Insect Pests in the Urban Environment : International Conference, 2., Edinburgh (GBR), 1996/07/07-10
Larval susceptibility to organophosphates (OP), carbamates (CARB) and pyrethroids (PYR) was investigated in Culex quinquefasciatus from Côte d'Ivoire and Burkina Faso. A total of 33 populations collected in 25 cities were tested. The resistance of these natural field populations was compared to a susceptible reference strain under the same conditions. In Côte d'Ivoire, populations showed a heterogeneous response to OP and CARB. A range of 40 %-98 % of larvae had a low resistance level to both chlorpyrifos (2-8x) and propoxur (1-4x). The remaining 2 % to 60 % of larvae displayed a high level of cross-resistance between chlorpyrifos (15-30x) and propoxur (>700x). Biochemical studies showed that low level resistance to OP was due to A2-B2 overproduced esterases and that cross-resistance to OP and CARB was conferred by an insensitive acetylcholinesterase (AChE). This AChE provided a lower resistance to temephos (10x). In Burkina Faso, populations were slightly resistant to OP (1-3x) and not to CARB. The esterases A2-B2 were only present at 50 % frequency. In contrast, PYR-resistance was similar between the two countries. All populations were resistant to either permethrin (20-80x) and deltamethrin (15-40x). Bioassays using piperonyl butoxide (PB) and biochemical studies showed that PYR-resistance involved increased metabolism by mixed function oxidases. Knowing that synergism of PB did not completely suppress resistance and that adults did not show a knockdown effect with high permethrin concentrations, it is likely that PYR-resistance was also due to a Kdr gene. (Résumé d'auteur)
Plan de classement
Culicidés, arbovirus et maladies apparentées [052CULARB]
Descripteurs
ENTOMOLOGIE MEDICALE ; INSECTICIDE CHIMIQUE ; RESISTANCE ; VARIABILITE GENETIQUE ; POLYMORPHISME ENZYMATIQUE
Description Géographique
COTE D'IVOIRE ; BURKINA FASO
Localisation
Fonds IRD [F B010007010] ; Montpellier (Centre IRD)
Identifiant IRD
fdi:010007010
Contact
  • Coordonnées :
    IST / IRD Ile-de-France
    32 avenue Henri Varagnat
    93140 Bondy Cedex
    France
    Horizon Pleins textes
  •