Horizon / Plein textes La base de ressources documentaires de l'IRD

IRD

Publications des scientifiques de l'IRD

Dabire K. R., Sawadodgo S., Diabate A., Toe K. H., Kengne Pierre, Ouari A., Costantini Carlo, Gouagna Louis-Clément, Simard Frédéric, Baldet T., Lehmann T., Gibson G. (2013). Assortative mating in mixed swarms of the mosquito Anopheles gambiae s.s. M and S molecular forms, in Burkina Faso, West Africa. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 27 (3), 298-312. ISSN 0269-283X

Accès réservé (Intranet IRD) Document en accès réservé (Intranet IRD)

Lien direct chez l'éditeur doi:10.1111/j.1365-2915.2012.01049.x

Titre
Assortative mating in mixed swarms of the mosquito Anopheles gambiae s.s. M and S molecular forms, in Burkina Faso, West Africa
Année de publication2013
Type de documentArticle référencé dans le Web of Science WOS:000322992400007
AuteursDabire K. R., Sawadodgo S., Diabate A., Toe K. H., Kengne Pierre, Ouari A., Costantini Carlo, Gouagna Louis-Clément, Simard Frédéric, Baldet T., Lehmann T., Gibson G.
SourceMedical and Veterinary Entomology, 2013, 27 (3), p. 298-312. ISSN 0269-283X
RésuméThe molecular form composition of Anopheles gambiae Giles s.s. (Diptera: Culicidae) mating swarms and the associated mating pairs (copulae) were investigated during two rainy seasons (July to October, 2005 and July to November, 2006) in the villages of Soumousso and Vallee du Kou (VK7). Although the habitats of these villages differ markedly, sympatric populations of M and S molecular forms of An. gambiae s.s. occur in both places periodically. The main aim was to assess the degree to which these molecular forms mate assortatively. In Soumousso, a wooded savannah habitat, the majority of swarm samples consisted of only S-form males (21/28), although a few M-form males were found in mixed M- and S-form swarms. In VK7, a rice growing area, the majority of swarm samples consisted of only M-form males (38/62), until October and November 2006, when there were nearly as many mixed-form as single-form swarms. Overall, approximate to 60% of M- and S-form swarms were temporally or spatially segregated; the two forms were effectively prevented from encountering each other. Of the remaining 40% of swarms, however, only about half were single-form and the rest were mixed-form. Of the 33 copulae collected from mixed-form swarms, only four were mixed-form pairs, significantly fewer than expected by random pairing between forms ((2) = 10.34, d.f. = 2, P < 0.01). Finally, all specimens of inseminated females were of the same form as the sperm contained within their spermatheca (n = 91), even for the four mixed-form copulae. These findings indicate that assortative mating occurs within mixed-form swarms, mediated most probably by close-range mate recognition cues.
Plan de classementEntomologie médicale / Parasitologie / Virologie [052]
Descr. géo.BURKINA FASO
LocalisationFonds IRD [F B010060560]
Identifiant IRDfdi:010060560
Lien permanenthttp://www.documentation.ird.fr/hor/fdi:010060560

Export des données

Disponibilité des documents

Télechargment fichier PDF téléchargeable

Lien sur le Web lien chez l'éditeur

Accès réservé en accès réservé

HAL en libre accès sur HAL


Accès aux documents originaux :

Le FDI est labellisé CollEx

Accès direct

Bureau du chercheur

Site de la documentation

Espace intranet IST (accès réservé)

Suivi des publications IRD (accès réservé)

Mentions légales

Services Horizon

Poser une question

Consulter l'aide en ligne

Déposer une publication (accès réservé)

S'abonner au flux RSS

Voir les tableaux chronologiques et thématiques

Centres de documentation

Bondy

Montpellier (centre IRD)

Montpellier (MSE)

Cayenne

Nouméa

Papeete

Abidjan

Dakar

Niamey

Ouagadougou

Tunis

La Paz

Quito